OOTY is simply an exciting destination
Ooty, in the Nilgiris range, is regarded as the “Queen of Hills”. The word Nilgiri is derived from two Sanskrit words ‘Nilam’ means blue, and ‘Giri’ means hill. The literal meaning of the Nilgiris is ‘The Blue Hills.’ Ooty, with an attitude of 7600 feet, is also called Ootacamund or Udhagamandalam. Ooty is one of the prominent hill stations of South India, and it is popularly called as the Switzerland of South India (read more)
Ooty is a beautiful mountain town that can be visited all year-round. The ideal time to visit is between April to June (season) and September to November (also called the second season).
The weather during the summer period is generally pleasant as you can venture out for day sightseeing and other tourist activities. Approximately 65% of the geographical area of the Nilgiri district lies at an altitude of 1800-2500 meters above mean sea level.
We have identified and partnered with Preethi Group of hotels for those seeking an affordable stay and Savoy-IHCL SeleQtions for those seeking some luxury during your travel to OOTY. Both the hotel groups provide OOTYULTRA runners with special packages to choose from.
Preethi Group Of Hotels (Hospitality Partner)
Hotel Preethi Classic Towers will be our official hospitality partner to provide you with a range of affordable & comfortable stay options
Preethi Classic Tower is located within 1.5 km from the OOTYULTRA expo & starting point, YWCA Anadagiri.
Preethi group of hotels provides the following benefits to the OOTYULTRA runners.
- special discounted rates only for OOTYULTRA runners
- premium and budget rooms available
- Early check-in & late checkout facility
- Drop to the OOTYULTRA start point (< 2km)
How to contact the hotel?
Call the hotel to make sure you have a comfortable stay at OOTY. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “OOTYULTRA Reservation” or call the numbers published below.
Provide booking reference as OOTYULTRA or COACHKAY
The exclusive package is only given to OOTYULTRA registered participants & their immediate friends/family members.
About Hotel Preethi Classic Towers
It is a large structure spread on an enormous verdant land. The beautiful property unfurls a magical world full of comfort, convenience, solace, and ease. The hotel and the rooms are designed for patrons who settle for nothing but the best. The rooms are festooned with stylish interiors, refined furniture, and present a picture-perfect stay. Preeti Classic Tower
About Hotel Preethi Palace
The hotel offers an unparalleled relaxing atmosphere and located just 15 minutes from the main bus stand and railway station. Ooty’s main attractions like the Botanical Garden and the Rose Garden are within 10-20 mins of walking distance. Preeti Palace
Savoy-IHCL SeleQtions (Partner Hotel)
For Tastefully Curated Ultramarathon Experience
SeleQtions is a named collection of hotels from The Indian Hotels Company Limited (IHCL). IHCL’s portfolio of hotel brands also includes the iconic luxury hotel brand “Taj,” the upscale hotel brand “Vivanta,” and the lean-luxe brand “Ginger.” SeleQtions hotels are marquee hotels that pay homage to a legacy, a location, or a theme.
Details of the package that can be activated for Runners.
- Check-in: (Saturday)
- Check-Out: (Monday)
- Wi-Fi up to 4 devices
- Breakfast on all days (runner’s special pre-run breakfast at 0500AM-0600 AM on race day)
- Drop through a shared shuttle at the start point (pick-up from race venue will be individual-not included in the package)
- Celebration Dinner on race day
- Signature Massage for an hour at Jiva Spa the next day
The rate for the above package on single occupancy would be INR 32500 + taxes (18%) published rates valid in April 2020, please check with the hotel for updates. We will be happy to customize the package for runners if family/friends get added in the same room.
The above dates are weekends and peak-most times in the year, which fills very fast.
How to contact the hotel?
Call the hotel to make sure you have a comfortable stay at OOTY. Write to email@example.com with the subject “OOTYULTRA Reservation” or call the number published below.
Hotel Address & Location
77 Sylks Road Ooty – 643001, Tamilnadu, India Tajhotels.com
- The nearest broad-gauge train station is Mettupalayam. You can take a government-operated bus service for a 2 hrs bus ride to reach Ooty.
- Coimbatore is another option; you can reach OOTY by road 3 hrs.
- Optionally you can a train from Mettuppalayam to Ooty, 4-5 hrs travel time through one of the most scenic and oldest Blue Mountains railways constructed by the British in the 19th Century
Click the image below to view the Indian Railways web portal
Travel by road
Government operated buses
Look for buses in the Tamil Nade State Transport Corporation operated buses TNSC here
The Karnataka (www.ksrtc.in) & Kerala State Government operates many buses too
Private buses There are many private operators provide bus services to Ooty. Use travel websites to locate them. You may want to consider booking a semi-sleeper or a sleeper coach buses upon your return journey to get some good rest for your tired legs/body.
Car/any other self-driven or driver driven vehicles
- Coimbatore –> Mettupalayam –> Coonoor –> Ooty (many government operated buses are available) ~3 hr
- Coimbatore –> Mettupalayam –> Kotagiri –> Ooty (longer, unless you want to enjoy the scenic ride)
- Bangaluru –> Mysore –> Gundlupet –> Bandipur –> Masinagudi –> Ooty WARNING: Your venhicle will not be allowed through Masinagudi from Ooty, due to the dangerous nature of this route. The Nilgiris District police will not allow your vehicle to enter the road leading to Masinagudi, and you will be directed to go towards Gudalur, right at the Thalaikunda Junction (6km from Ooty). Add another 1 hr 30 mins to your travel time.
- Bangaluru –> Mysore –> Gundlupet –> Bandipur–> Gudalur –> Ooty (longer) (direct buses are available)
WARNING: if you are new to mountain driving, exercise extreme safety precautions, wear your seat belt, and maintain traffic discipline.
Always use lower gears and use the engine braking to drive downhills
by Taxi from Coimbatore
If you require assistance with any taxi service in Coimbatore – call Vishwam Iyer (Mobile numbers: +919047917184, +919003842713)
Give reference as OOTYULTRA Participant
Travel by air
Nearest Airport: Coimbatore (Check flights to Coimbatore)
Bangalore (Flights to Bangalore)
From these airports, choose to travel from road/train to Ooty (see other sections)
Travel & Accommodation (7)
You can reach Ooty by road & or train only. If you are planning to fly, the nearest airports are Coimbatore (90 km away) or the Kempegowda International Airport, Bangalore, and you have to travel by road to OOTY.
See the travel section for more information
Find hotels within the OOTY town limits (look for lodges/hotels near places like Charing-cross, commercial road, Ettines road, near collector’s office, Hospital road, or any place within the Ooty town) Plan to arrive in Ooty on Saturday morning and leave either on Sunday evening (15k, 30k runners) and Sunday night or Monday morning (60k runners). Write to firstname.lastname@example.org regarding this.
Note: The organizers will not make accommodation arrangements and you are expected to make your own arrangements
- Main Bazaar
- Botanical Gardens
- Doddabetta Peak
- OOTY Lake
- OOTY Stone House
- Sandinella Dam
- Pykara Water Falls & Dam
- Kamaraj Dam
- Avalanche Lake
- OOTY Toy Train
- Emerald Lake
- Deer Park
- Wax museum
- Rose Garden
- Kalhatty Water Falls
- Mudumalai Wild Reserve
- Needle View Point
- Hotel Preeti Classic Tower – Good vegetarian food choices
- Shinkos – a famous and very old Chinese restaurant located near the Collectors office
- Nagar Hotels
- A2B, if you want to grab a quick bite – is quite a popular joint, watch out for busy days and there could be some waiting time
- Ooty Tea is world famous
- Homemade chocolates, beware of highly priced poor quality chocolates
- Ooty Varkey, a type of biscuit snack, made of Wheat
- Eucalyptus Oil
- Fruits including, plums, peaches, tree tomatoes
- Fresh vegetables like Avocados, Broccoli, Potatoes, Carrots, Beetroots, Raddish, Cabbage & Cauliflower, visit the famous Market, carry a huge bag to shop since plastic is banned in the mountains
- The month of April is the most amazing time to visit Ooty. It is also the beginning of the summer season and many tourists flock that time.
- Min 12 Deg. C and max 23 deg. C. Weather with a feel of 28 deg. C.
- Check the online weather bulletins for information on latest weather info in Ooty around Race Day
We encourage to contact our travel partner listed in the travel.
It’s ideal to block the rooms through online hotel service providers. Make sure you are staying within the city limits (look for lodges/hotels near places like Charing-cross, commercial road, Ettines road, near collector’s office, Hospital road, or any place within the Ooty town)
Plan to arrive in Ooty on Saturday morning and leave either on Sunday evening (15k, 30k runners) and Sunday night or Monday morning (60k runners).
Write to email@example.com if you want more information.
Note: The organizers will not make accommodation arrangements