OOTY is simply an exciting destination
In the Nilgiris range, Ooty is regarded as the “Queen of Hills”. The word Nilgiri is derived from two Sanskrit words ‘Nilam’ means blue, and ‘Giri’ means hill. The literal meaning of the Nilgiris is ‘The Blue Hills.’ Ooty, with an attitude of 7600 feet, is also called Ootacamund or Udhagamandalam. Ooty is one of the prominent hill stations of South India, and it is popularly called the Switzerland of South India (read more)
Ooty is a beautiful mountain town that can be visited all year round. The ideal time to visit is between April to June (season) and September to November (also called the second season).
The weather during the summer period is generally pleasant as you can venture out for day sightseeing and other tourist activities. Approximately 65% of the geographical area of the Nilgiris district lies at an altitude of 1800-2500 meters above mean sea level.
Call Arfath at +919894476186 for taxi arrangements from Coimbatore (any location including Airport, Train/bus Station etc.,) and mention you are running the Ootyultra.
- The nearest station is Mettupalayam. You can travel to Ooty by the Government-operated bus service with a travel time of 2 hrs (approx)
- Another large station is Coimbatore; which is of 3 hours travel time to reach Ooty
- If you are not in a rush, you can enjoy the toy train ride from Mettupalayam to Ooty, which takes around 4-5 hrs travel time. The route is the most scenic and one of the oldest. Blue Mountains railways were constructed by the British in the 19th Century
Travel by road
Government operated buses
Look for buses in the Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation-operated buses TNSC here.
The Karnataka (www.ksrtc.in) & Kerala State Government operates many buses too
There are many private operators providing bus services to Ooty. Use travel websites to locate them. You may consider booking a semi-sleeper or a sleeper coach bus upon your return journey to get some good rest for your tired legs/body.
Car/any other self-driven or driver driven vehicles
- Coimbatore –> Mettupalayam –> Coonoor –> Ooty (many government operated buses are available) ~3 hr
- Coimbatore –> Mettupalayam –> Kotagiri –> Ooty (longer, unless you want to enjoy the scenic ride)
- Bangaluru –> Mysore –> Gundlupet –> Bandipur –> Masinagudi –> Ooty (WARNING: If you are driving a vehicle registered outside of the Nilgiris District, you will not be allowed to travel to Masinagudi from Ooty through the ghat section. Alternatively, drive to Gudalur to get to Mysuru with an additional 1 hr 30 mins to your travel time)
- Bangaluru –> Mysore –> Gundlupet –> Bandipur–> Gudalur –> Ooty (longer) (direct buses are available)
WARNING: if you are new to mountain driving, exercise extreme safety precautions, wear your seat belt, and maintain traffic discipline. Always use lower gears and use the engine braking to drive downhills
Travel by air
Nearest Airport: Coimbatore (Check flights to Coimbatore)
Bangalore (Flights to Bangalore)
From these airports, choose to travel from road/train to Ooty (see other sections)
Travel & Accommodation (7)
You can reach Ooty by road & or train only. If you are planning to fly, the nearest airports are Coimbatore (90 km away) or the Kempegowda International Airport, Bangalore, and you have to travel by road to OOTY.
See the travel section for more information
We encourage you to explore the room options provided by our hospitality partner – published on our Travel page.
Find hotels within the Ooty town limits (look for lodges/hotels near places like Charing-cross, commercial road, Ettines road, near collector’s office, Hospital road)
Plan to arrive in Ooty on Saturday morning.
Plan to leave either on Sunday evening (15k, 30k runners) or Monday if you are a 60k or 90k runner.
Note: The organizers will not make accommodation arrangements and you are expected to make your own arrangements
- Main Bazaar
- Botanical Gardens
- Doddabetta Peak
- OOTY Lake
- OOTY Stone House
- Sandinella Dam
- Pykara Water Falls & Dam
- Kamaraj Dam
- Avalanche Lake
- OOTY Toy Train
- Emerald Lake
- Deer Park
- Wax museum
- Rose Garden
- Kalhatty Water Falls
- Mudumalai Wild Reserve
- Needle View Point
- Hotel Preeti Classic Tower – Good vegetarian food choices
- Shinkos – a famous and very old Chinese restaurant located near the Collectors office
- Nagar Hotels
- A2B, if you want to grab a quick bite – is quite a popular joint, watch out for busy days and there could be some waiting time
- Ooty Tea is world famous
- Homemade chocolates, beware of highly priced poor quality chocolates
- Ooty Varkey, a type of biscuit snack, made of Wheat
- Eucalyptus Oil
- Fruits including, plums, peaches, tree tomatoes
- Fresh vegetables like Avocados, Broccoli, Potatoes, Carrots, Beetroots, Raddish, Cabbage & Cauliflower, visit the famous Market, carry a huge bag to shop since plastic is banned in the mountains
- The month of April is the most amazing time to visit Ooty. It is also the beginning of the summer season and many tourists flock that time.
- Min 12 Deg. C and max 23 deg. C. Weather with a feel of 28 deg. C.
- Check the online weather bulletins for information on latest weather info in Ooty around Race Day
We encourage to contact our travel partner listed in the travel.
It’s ideal to block the rooms through online hotel service providers. Make sure you are staying within the city limits (look for lodges/hotels near places like Charing-cross, commercial road, Ettines road, near collector’s office, Hospital road, or any place within the Ooty town)
Plan to arrive in Ooty on Saturday morning and leave either on Sunday evening (15k, 30k runners) and Sunday night or Monday morning (60k runners).
Write to email@example.com if you want more information.
Note: The organizers will not make accommodation arrangements