THIS IS BY INVITATION/APPLICATION ONLY CATEGORY, SEE THE FORM AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE IF YOU WISH TO APPLY FOR 90k ENTRY
About The 90k Route
90k OOTYULRA will be run on mountain roads (~2642 m elevation gain) with close to 50 km non-repeating sections. The first 5 km is run on flat roads, and the ascend to the Dodabetta Peak starts from the 6k onwards. From there till about 10k, it is an uphill which will take you to the second-highest peak in South India.
Most runners will reach Doddabetta peak when daylight is already broken, and you can have a breathtaking view of the blue mountains from that height. Some early runners can even witness the sun rising from the plains, and on a clear day, one can also see the Ooty town, the lake, and the racecourse.
After the 10 km, you will run down, reach the four roads junction, and run towards Kothagiri. At 15 km, you will reach the Tea Garden, this is the finish point for all categories. After crossing the timing mat and the checkpoint, you will run towards Kotagiri to finish the next 15km section. Follow the route markers on the roads and road intersections carefully.
The 15k to 30k is a single route with steep downhill sections till about 23k and a steep uphill section, which will bring you back to the Tea Park.
Tea Park is an adequately stocked fuel station to recharge before heading out to finish the extended 30 km non-repeating section to get back to the Tea Park.
The final 30 km will be done in the reverse direction, and you will finish at the Tea Park.
Distance accuracy: The 90k distance is approximate with a +/- 2.5 km due to variations in the measurements approach vs. GPS device accuracy. Be prepared to pace your race accordingly.
Top finishers & course record
The 90k was featured on the 5th edition of Ootyultra 2022.
|Year||BIB Number||Name||Gender||Finish Time||Pace|
|2022||N-044||Velu P (IND)||Male||10:48:31 (CR)||0:07:12|
|2022||N-040||Preeti Lala (IND)||Female||11:38:27 (WR)||0:07:46|
CR – Course Record, the fastest time recorded, WR – Women Record
Start & Finish locations
- Start point: YWCA Anandagiri
- Finish point: Government Tea Park, Battarkambai) ~8.3 km away from the start
#ultramalaivasi expo and BIB-collection
Only experienced ultramarathoners are allowed to participate in this category.
- Read the FAQ & Race Rules pages carefully
- Must be 20 years old on the race day
- If you have automatically qualified as an OOTYULTRA 2022 90k finisher OR OOTYULTRA 2022 60k in sub 8:15 hrs (see the list here), your application will be immediately accepted. In the form below – choose “Yess! I have the #ultramalaivasi Golden Ticket.”
- a few of the qualification requirements are listed below
- History of running several marathons/ultramarathons
- A ~sub 4:10 hrs full-marathon finish
- Comrades Marathon 2022 in sub 11.00 hrs (or comparable mountain ultras completed in 2022)
- 12 hr Stadium run finisher with 100+ km
- Or – other challenging ultras in a similar terrain/elevation/distance/time credentials
- If you meet the above qualifications, we encourage you to fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
- The race director will review your application and send you an invitation if you qualify.
Race start time
- 6.00 am, reporting time is 5.15 am.
|Distance||15k||30k||60k||80k||90k – finish|
|Time from the start||2:00:00*||4:10:00*||8:45:00||10:50:00||12:00:00|
- Check the registration page
- Plan to reach Ooty on Saturday before 12.00 pm
- Recommended to depart from Ooty on Monday after a good rest on Sunday
- Visit the Travel section to learn more about the travel options
- Approx every 5 km
Aid Station Supplies
- Ultramarathon friendly fuel
- Breakfast (at 30k)
- Lunch (at 60k)
- Post-run snacks (at the finish)
- Your BIB must be worn on your chest
- A working mobile phone
- Two layers of clothing to protect from cold/wind before the race starts
- A light hand gloves & a some to protect ears at the start line
- 4.00 pm @ the #ultramalaivasi Expo, on Saturday
- Post-race lunch
- Medical & Recovery tent at the finish area
- Buses will bring you back to Ooty. Check the pre-event announcements regarding the bus timings